Criminality and Ethnicity

English 2673

Literature and Ethnicity

Louisiana State University


Thursday, January 17, 2008

Assignment One

My favorite crime or mystery novel is The Godfather. To me, the book shows how a family defends honor and traditions. Respect is what the characters thrive on. The drive for power, money, and honor is the fuel for each of the character's fire. Victor Pugo does a phenomenal job depicting what I would consider an up-dated version of some sort of Roman historical account of betrayal, corruption, and supremacy. Another important aspect of the novel is the importance of family, which I think is one of the things that makes the novel so popular. At the end of the day, all that is left is the family. It is where one's legacy lies and also where one's reputation begins. The movie is really good too, even though a lot of the novel is excluded from the movie. Not to mention, a young Al Pacino is my most favorite thing to watch!

No comments: